Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Perfect Crim Pro Crime

Our crim pro professor, at the beginning of the year, gave us all these little POS remote controls. Everyone gets one, and, with them, we’re supposed to answer these “polls” that he throws up in class every once in a while.

There’s a slight chance he’s tracking attendance with these things. Otherwise, they’re just a substitute for us raising their hands.

Given my general apathy about whether the “presumption of innocence” is a presumption or merely a warning to the jury, I would not really raise my hand. I am equally indifferent, if not more so, of digging through my backpack so I can click my choice.

So there’s really no good reason for me to have this remote control thingy. It’s as useless as a condom.

The thing is, it’s a mighty expensive useless thing. Those who fail to return it and the end of the semester must pay $50 to BU Law in restitution.

Fifty. Dollars.

Now, I keep this in my book bag, so I probably won’t lose it.

That said, because the thingy is essentially useless, it’s as if the professor gave me a fifty dollar bill – one I can never spend – and told me to hang onto it for the semester.

Now, professor, I really want to give this back to you and not incur the fee. That said, I don’t trust myself. Because it behooves me to have a replacement or two just in case I lose my own ... well, you can probably fill in the blank.

Don’t blame me, professor. You created this problem. And that, Dean, is why I was rifling through that guy’s stuff.

No comments: