Monday, March 2, 2009

Day Before Day Before Day Before Yesterday's Paper

Congratulations to the new board of editors at The Sun. You poor bastards.

I was struck by a couple of things when I looked at the new masthead. First off, has it been that long? I don't recognize all but three of this kids. Didn't I just graduate? Is turnover that quick?

Damn. We old.

Also, what in the blue eff is a "Science Editor"? Way back in '06 we didn't have one. Is science some brand new thing that needs editing? Also, as Rob said, this likely means we need a corresponding "Humanities Editor."

There are also seven more editorships now than there were way back when. I am intrigued by the position of Assistant Managing Editor. It's as if we went back and Mike was there, except he had a tiny clone at a smaller desk next to him, sort of like a Mini-Me, except with a Southern accent.

For years I clamored for an Associate Associate Editor. As I envisioned it, that job would consist of fetching me beer, and perhaps finding one of those thingies that opens beer, so that we didn't have to slam the bottle-caps against table edges like common savages. Additional duties would have probably entailed apologetic conversations with authority figures, of both the local and federal variety. Compensation would come in the form of free candy from Ms. Bishop's desk, leftover pizza, and whatever we didn't manage to drink. The latter might be a pittance, but, in this economy, what can you do.

Oh well. Maybe next year is the year.

And always remember. What Would the 124th Do?

No comments: