Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Third PANIC

The gauntlet of back to back closed-book exams is among the most onerous of trials a man can face. This morning, I took my M&A final. While it wasn't quite the reenactment of a scene for the television series Oz, I can without a doubt say that those four hours were in the bottom five hours of my academic career. I think Michael Scott can adequately sum up my feelings:
"It feels like somebody took my heart, and dropped it into a bucket of boiling tears. And at the same time, somebody else is hitting my soul in the crotch with a frozen sledgehammer. And then a third guy walks in and starts punching me in the grief bone. And I am crying. And nobody can hear me, because I am terribly, terribly... terribly alone."
Thank you, Michael. Nevertheless, I have to boot and rally (awww, remember booting and rallying? I miss that.) and study my ass off for tomorrow's exercise in futility, international law. The exam. Not the actual field of study. Ok. Maybe both.

In any case, the last thing I felt like doing today is studying. Nevertheless, I was duty bound to do so, and must keep going.

It's like finals is a baseball game. And, after getting knocked around by the first few batters, I just beaned a guy. Now everyone's mad at me. Especially my professor, who is reading my final right now and booing. He looks angry. If only I could explain to him that I could barely read the exam through the tears.

And the guy I just beaned? Is that blood? He's not moving. Oh crap. The guy's not moving. I think he's dead. I think I killed him. They just took him to the tunnel leading to the clubhouse. And the doctors, they don't look optimistic. And now I'm being asked by my manager to refocus, shake it off, and pitch to this next guy. But how am I supposed to do that? I think I hear a sustained beep in the distance. Is that the sound flatlining makes? I just shivered. Did an angel get his wings?

Who's the guy I just killed anyway?

(Looks to scoreboard)

Legal Career.

Crap.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is how I felt when I learned that I had to go back to Atlanta. Imagine how bad Atlanta must be if I was really pulling for Oakland.

Anonymous said...

What a relief to know I'll get to spend the year in sunny San Diego instead of craptacular Atlanta.

Anonymous said...

I disagree, guys. Atlanta's not that bad. At least you're not on the 7 train looking like you're in Beirut, sitting next to some queer with AIDS...well you know where I'm going.

Anonymous said...

Donde esta Moldman?

Anonymous said...

That sounded like Mexican. SPEAK ENGLISH.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you know Charlie from Ohio as well as I do. He's quite sympathetic to the Spanish language and to Mexicans in general.

Anonymous said...

Yea, leave Charlie alone and go away. Also, John, your girlfriend looks like a Futurama character.

Anonymous said...

Shut up you fat monkey

Anonymous said...

I don't think this discussion meets the traditional notions of fair play and substantial justice.

Anonymous said...

I'm so old I was buddies with Old Man Pennoyer.

Anonymous said...

Charlie is trying to censor us. That's not cool. I may try to get ejected over this.

Anonymous said...

I know! this is a Second Amendment right.

Anonymous said...

You must mean First Amendment, John...

Anonymous said...

Every right is a 2nd Amendment right. Period.

Anonymous said...

I agree. -P

Anonymous said...

The Mets are the team to beat.