Sunday, May 31, 2009

Phished Out

Walking home this afternoon, I noticed that every other person on the street needed a haircut. And that there was an inordinately heavy police presence. And then, as I walked past Fenway, that there were literally thousands of hippies and they all looked excited -- as if they thought they saw Seth Rogen.

And then I realized that Phish was playing Fenway Park tonight. And I understood.

Yesterday, Dave Matthews played Fenway, turning my neighborhood into the best place in America for sickos to pick up 14 year-old girls.

Today, with Phish playing, my neighborhood is the best place in America the best place for cops to pick up potheads.

Unfortunately, possession of marijuana is no longer that criminal in Massachusetts. It is ironic, of course, and is as if NAMBLA had rolled into town a couple of months after statutory rape laws were repealed. Today, what should have been a smorgasbord for the cops is going to be like going to a Pasta Bar while on Atkins.

I never understood the appeal of Phish, but God bless them and the hippies who groove on them. At the very least, a stray thunderstorm passed over right during the middle of the show. This is, of course, the first shower half the audience has experienced in at least a week.

No comments: