Sunday, September 7, 2008

A Couple Dozen Years Old

I apologize for neglecting to post over the last couple of days, but it was my birthday weekend, and I spent much of it in no condition to type anything. Combine that with an impromptu trip to NYC, the start of the football season, and time spent praying for Tom Brady (uselessly, it seems), and, well, it's been quite the eventful weekend.

I somehow turned 24 on Friday, which is just about double my mental age. I'm just one year away from the dreaded quarter-century mark, but I'm OK with that. Reports that I have descended into a quarter-life crisis are, of course, completely erroneous. Yes, I bought a bicycle, and yes, I'm dating someone almost half my age, but exercise is good for the heart and 14 is the new 24, plus those laws don't apply in Mexico Ohio anyway.

I am a little worried. I turned to the MTV Video Music Awards during the Colts-Bears halftime, and am troubled that I recognize no one. I knew I was the only person in America who did not know what a Hannah Montana was (I thought it was a teen girl version of Indiana Jones), but that's not even the start of it. There's a Li'l Wayne, Li'l Jon and Li'l Bow Wow. There's T.I., T-Pain, and T-ampax. Hanson seems to have been reconfigured into the Jonas Brothers. And who the heck is Russell Brand?

So yeah, I realize I'm old, and my tastes in music are not only old and dated, but something that kids today, watching the VMAs, probably do not recognize. Is it too much to ask for a performer who is over the age of 25? At this point, I'll even take Coldplay.

1 comment:

cvillalpando said...

el problema real serĂ­a SABER quienes son esos tipos. MTV ya no es lo que era antes... snif.