Friday, November 28, 2008

Jailhouse Rock

Some of you may remember a certain night in the late April of '07 when a few shady people, myself included, went to an after-hours at my house and played Guitar Hero at a volume that was just a lit-tle bit too loud for 2 a.m. on a Thursday morning. This led to an unfortunate encounter with Ithaca's finest, and may or may not have resulted in a visit downtown.

In a positive note, however, I did learn that handcuffs are surprisingly uncomfortable. Who knew?

The crime? Having too much fun, I guess. Technically, it was a noise violation. Now, this ordinance may or may not be unconstitutional, depending on who you ask. But I didn't pay for a drink all week, the bail money covered the fine, and now I have a pretty good "never have I ever."

And I'm just thankful that this did not happen in Colorado. Apparently, the judge likes to punish those irksome creatures, the noise violators, by locking them in a room and forcing them to listen to Barry Manilow and Barney the Dinosaur for hours on end.

Personally, I think a worse punishment would be to make them listen to this on repeat. But this is just as bad. Barney the flipping dinosaur. Where, I ask you, is common decency? Where is the eight amendment? Where are the Geneva Conventions? I'd rather be waterboarded.

No comments: