Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Christmas in November

I voted today.

Rather, I tried to vote. I stood in line for hours. Then, when I finally got to the front, they told me I couldn't vote. Apparently, because I'm not a citizen, I'm not allowed to.

Guess I should have checked up on that.

I'll admit I was excited today when, on my way to school, I saw really long lines snaking around corners. My first thought was, of course, sweet! A new bar! And it looks like it's a happening place!

No, what was happening at the front of the line was slightly more important than even -- dare I say it? -- the first batch of Summer Ale of the year. People were out to vote. Coming from where I come from, where we've only really been doing it -- when it counts, anyway -- for eight years, it's nice to see people waiting for hours to try and punch the right hole in the butterfly ballot.

My favorite part, I guess, is seeing everyone's outfits for the day. It's like college gameday out there, what with the shirts, face paint, and general taunting of the other side.

I mean, it's an exciting time. How do you think the pundits slept last night? I imagine Keith Olbermann counted down every damn tick of his clock yesterday. Today, I guarantee you he is running around the NBC studio like a child on Christmas Eve. "Can we call it now?" "No." "How about now?" "No." "Come on, it's right there, this is agony, oh my God please let me call it nowwwwww." I'll be surprised if his reaction tonight isn't like this.

On the other hand, how do you think O'Reilly and them slept last night? I imagine it was the sleep of a college kid on LSAT eve. That is, sweaty, restless, and knowing it's going to be so much worse in the morning. True, there's a chance luck will shine her fickle smile, and everyone will be ever so happy, but come on. You can't comprehend the readings, the logic games have kicked your ass all year, and can you imagine Palin trying to parse the sentences in the identify the argument part?

For those of you playing a drinking game today, I would like to strongly discourage the use of a rule where you take a shot every time a state is awarded to a candidate. If you're not dead after they call the entire Northeast for Obama, you'll surely be dead after they call pretty much the entire South for McCain. In the interest of allowing the EMTs to watch the election returns without having to pump your stomach, we ask that you also refrain from drinking every time the words landslide (on MSNBC), upset (on FoxNews), perception analyzer (on CNN), swing state, battleground state, bellwether state, state of panic, every time a red seat or senator or state turns blue, turnout (shot), huge turnout (double shot), overwhelming turnout (body shot), historic, hysterics, etc..

Then, at the end of the night we will have one of two choices. If your candidate wins, it's time to start chugging the champagne. If he should have the misfortune to lose, the everclear.

Tonight, I am proud to say, I am firmly an Obama man. A bro for Obama. A Brobama, if you will.

Why? Others can put it in better, more thoughtful, and more articulate words, particularly here and here.

What it all boils down to is, I believe in the man.

If and when Barack Obama steps out on that stage, awash in a sea of confetti, to the delighted cheers of a majority of the country that believes in him, in this change, in this idea of a new, re-emerging America eager to reclaim its place as the greatest accomplishment of our civilized history, then it might get a little dusty in here.

Someday I'll be able to vote, and it does disappoint me a little that, today, I wasn't able to cast a ballot in Obama's name. That does not mean, however, that I can't participate in this, enjoy the history tonight will write, and revel in the resurgence of hope.

No comments: