Tuesday, January 6, 2009

There Goes the Neighborhood

In my brief absence from Boston, several things have happened within a block of where I live.

First, some numbnuts holds up the Starbucks next door.

Then, an entire city block, including some very good restaurants, goes up in flames. This includes El Pelon, a pretty good taco joint.

And, lastly but certainly not leastly, the liquor store, which I could see from my window and was the reason I lived where I live, has packed up shop and moved two blocks North. Granted, it only moved and is not shut down, and God knows I should at least carry a case two blocks before I set to the task of finishing it.

However, I can't help but feel a little betrayed, as if my parents had moved away while I was at camp. I mean, every time something you loved moves farther away, a little piece of you dies. What am I supposed to look at longingly on cold and lonely nights now?

1 comment:

Caitelizabethb said...

my resolution for 2009 is to be more positive (and to judge less, but that's beside my point). So as for the liquor store vacancy, how do you know another liquor vendor won't move in? And if Starbucks closes down, maybe a cheaper coffee alternative will move in? And as for those longing late night stares, I'd suggest either Panera girl's eyes or an easier alternative. And if Boston gets that damn bad, maybe you could move to Chicago where it's really at.