Thursday, June 25, 2009

Yo To You Too

The new iPhone software has a bunch of new features, including copy-paste, a search function, and voice recording.

Big whoop. The most important improvement, and certainly the only one I will use, is that the wizards in the iPhone finally recognize the word, “Yo.”

Before, every time I tried to text the word, “Yo” in the manner of a greeting or a salutation, the iPhone spelling wizard would automatically correct it to “To.” Then I’d have to erase that and try to write “Yo” again. This time, the wizard -- helpfully, at least in its tiny magic wizard mind -- would correct it to “You.” I’d have to erase once again.

Then finally, on the third try, the spelling wizard would give up and let me, its nincompoop master, text a word it did not recognize into the ether, broadcasting for all to know that I was functionally illiterate.

You have no idea how many times I accidentally texted, “You. Where you at?” or “To. What you doing tonight?” to people who were no doubt appalled by my brusqueness or bewildered by my incipient dyslexia.

Now I can finally text “Yo. We’re cougar hunting at Vox,” to someone without sounding like a complete and utter moron.

What?

No comments: