Friday, October 15, 2010

Transcending Transition

As I sat in my cave today, contemplating how I'm going to take over the world, I happened to glance at my Google Reader and noticed that my name was on someone else's blog post.

I stared at it for a little bit. Then I rubbed my eyes, not believing them. Then I stared at it again for a bit. Then I took out my English-Spanish dictionary and consulted it.

Yep, there it was. My name and story on someone else's blog post.

Somewhere in the distance, I could almost hear a clock start ticking on my 15 minutes of fame.

This is the aforementioned piece. Metaezra, a Cornell alumni blog, has developed this feature wherein they interview recent graduates about how they transitioned from college to the real world. And they asked me a few questions about my own transition experience.

Why me? I don't really know. While I am, in my own mind if nowhere else, devastatingly handsome, charming, and witty, they are really stretching the definitions of "recent" graduate and "real world" by picking a guy who graduated over three years ago to do something as far removed from reality as law school.

I suppose that my transition experience -- a phrase which, in a rather hideously apt way, recalls the final church scene from Lost -- is fairly interesting. You'll recall that three friends and I took a jaunt across America following college. This is, of course, the celebrated Three Jews and a Mexican Road Trip of '07, which has been extensively chronicled here.

The trip has since begot a sequel, Three Jews and a Mexican II: Three Jews and One Hundred Million Mexicans. A final chapter in the trilogy is in the works, although I am still discussing with the other producers about whether renaming it Three Lawyers and an Engineer would take the franchise in an exciting an litigious new direction.

And now, our humble little trip is the subject of an interview about cool things kids can do after completing college forces them to leave it. I could not be prouder.

Now that I'm more famous than a Chilean miner, I should warn you: Expect erratic behavior, a dalliance with Lindsay Lohan, a reality show, and a brief stay at the Betty Ford Center, not necessarily in that order. It's a Hollywood thing.

And if you need to get in touch with me, have your people call my people. Oh, and paparazzi, I'll be at Spago. I'll make sure to get a table on the patio with minimal sight line obstructions.

...

What do you mean I'm not on the list?

1 comment:

Makafui said...

Thank you for the interview, Carlos! Good luck on your upcoming trip, or the sequel as you call it. I've been thinking about suggesting a few resources (websites mostly) that people thinking about taking road trips could use. Let me know if you know of any, or if you want to write a "What to take (or not) with you on a road trip.