Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Calls of the Century

Today, Joe Posnanski, perhaps the best baseball writer working today, unveiled a list of the 32 Greatest Broadcast Calls in Sports History.

It's a terrific list, extremely fun to go through, and hard to quibble with.

If you'll allow me one indulgence, however, I'm going to say that Skip Caray's call of the 7th game of the NLCS is missing. While I won't contend that it deserves to make the list over any of the other inclusions, I will say that it is hands down my favorite call.

Of course I'm biased. Even Fox News isn't this shameless.

But look at the situation. 7th and deciding game of the NLCS. Bottom of the ninth. Braves are down 2-1, but they have runners on 2nd and 3rd. However, they also have two outs and the man they're sending to the plate is Francisco Cabrera, who totaled 12 plate appearances that season on his way to a career batting average of .254. And then this happened.



For you non-Braves fans, you can also see a pre-steroids Barry Bonds fail to throw out Sid "Wheels" Bream and his fantastic mustache. There's just something for everyone there.

No comments: