Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cf. Urbandictionary

In writing my paper, I have come across the following problem:

Is it appropriate to cite to urbandictionary.com in an academic paper?

No, wait. Hear me out!

I am writing a paper concerning the regulation of offensive speech by fans in sports arenas by public universities, and whether policies drafted to sanction that speech would violate the First Amendment.

Naturally, in the course of my paper I have to mention specific instances of behavior. This wouldn't be "fun" otherwise. And sometimes why that behavior is offensive is not immediately apparent.

For example:

"In a separate incident, University of Kansas students greeted the infamous Texas Tech coach Bill Knight with repeated chants of “Salad Tosser.” While most people would take no notice of such a remark – other than to note how bizarre it is – the term is actually a euphemism for a rather unappealing sexual activity. CITE"

What else can I possibly cite to, if not urbandictionary.com?

Of course, I could leave the term uncited. But what if my professor doesn't know what that means? What does he then do? Does he google "salad tosser?" FRAUGHT WITH PERIL. Does he, God forbid, straight up ask me what it means? FRAUGHT WITH EVEN MORE PERIL.

On the other hand, citing an academic paper to a website that gives you more than ten pages of Blumpkin definitions seems the height of unprofessionalism. And let's face it, it's not like my paper needs the help in that regard.

4 comments:

John said...

Cite the HBO prison documentary that defines it. Still a fun cite, but more reputable than user contributed defintitions.

behzad said...

This is quite a conundrum. John gives good advice I might chance it and not sight it, for the simple fact of avoiding having to define it, which would be difficult and awkward at best. I want to know what you end up doing!

dan said...

wieners = Republicans

Sarah said...

bob knight