Tuesday, March 9, 2010

All Work and No Play

As I sit here and gather information for my 30-page cert paper, I would me remiss if I did not acknowledge the most American of breaks.

Spring Break WOOOO is upon us and, once again, I find myself going nowhere.

Forces have conspired to keep me from taking my shirt off for beads. Unlike summers past, however, these are not police forces, or even the forces of decency.

No. Instead, I have to sit here and write a 30 page paper. Unlike last year, where I had the option of writing a paper and taking a final (I chose the final when on paper due date eve I had only two pages written), this time I have to write the paper, or else I don't graduate. While this would allow me to avoid checking off "unemployed" on questionnaires for a year, I can't take another year of dealing with LLMs.

It should be interesting. I haven't written a paper since first semester of senior year back in college. That was almost four years ago. I haven't exactly forgotten how to write, but I have forgotten how to write anything that is a blog post composed almost exclusively of double entendres and jokes about balls.

The most interesting part about this spring break, however?

Since everyone from the law school is gone, I have nothing to do but work by myself in my one-bedroom cave all day. It's Tuesday now, and the lack of human contact has made me go a little stir crazy. Cabin fever has set in. The only person I see is the one with the burgeoning beard (10 days now) staring at me from the mirror. And the voices inside my head grow louder by the minute.

My prediction is that by the end of the week, I'll have gone crazy from being in solitary confinement. I feel like a Franciscan monk shut up in his cave with only his scrolls to keep him company. All work and no play make Jack ... something something.

So if I come at you while you're eating and steal your sandwich, it won't be for the usual reasons. Instead, it will be because I've gone feral.

My apologies.

No comments: